Pampanga mart says to shoulder hospitalization, burial of quake victims

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Apr 26 2019 10:16 PM

MANILA - The camp of Chuzon Supermarket said Friday it will shoulder all expenses for the hospitalization and burial of victims following the collapse of its Porac branch during a earthquake Monday.

Atty. Adenn Sigua, legal counsel of the grocery chain, also said his client is willing to face the result of the authorities' probe into why the building did not withstand the magnitude 6.1 quake that hit Luzon.

"We are continuously contacting communicating the families of the deceased," Sigua told reporters.

President Rodrigo Duterte had ordered the investigation and said the supermarket's business operations of all branches should be suspended.

"We respect the decision of the president to comply and then ang worry lang namin sana wag lang magtagal," Sigua said.

"Sana kung sino man ang government agency concerned sana inspeksyunin na. If there is a necessity na i-improve pa yung building we will comply immediately kasi yung concern namin is yung almost 100 employees per store na dapat meron silang trabaho."

The grocery chain's owner Samuel Chu and assistant manager Kaye Toledo have been placed under police custody so they could answer some questions regarding the collapsed structure.

Phivolcs earlier said Chuzon's Porac branch should not have been flattened by a powerful quake earlier this week had the Building Code been followed.

Sigua, however, maintained the 4-storey supermarket branch complied with the Building Code and underwent inspection by the local government. 

--With reports from Gracie Rutao, ABS-CBN News