CEBU CITY - The Department of Health (DOH) in Central Visayas said Wednesday that the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) test result of a newborn in Cebu City might have been a "false positive".
A false positive is when a medical test result is incorrect.
The DOH-Central Visayas, in a statement, said it is looking deeper into the matter as another COVID-19 test is underway.
The newborn was among the 7 new cases in Cebu City recorded Tuesday, according to the DOH. Authorities announced the following day that the baby later tested negative.
The DOH earlier said the baby's mother was showing symptoms of COVID-19 during labor. The woman later tested negative for the illness.
The baby remains confined in a hospital for further observation, Cebu City Mayor Edgar Labella said.
On Wednesday, the city logged 139 more cases, the highest daily count so far. Of the new cases, 123 came from the city jail, according to the mayor.
Stricter measures are now being implemented at the jail, with visitors barred from personally bringing items to inmates, Labella added.
Barangay Labangon, meantime, has been placed under lockdown with 5 cases of COVID-19.
The city government is studying the possibility of extending the enhanced community quarantine to 2 weeks up to a month, Labella said.