Roque takes over gov't messaging on coronavirus policies

Arianne Merez, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Apr 23 2020 02:54 PM

MANILA - Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque said Thursday he would take over as head of the government's efforts in communicating policies and responses on the coronavirus crisis in an effort to centralize the messaging system.

Roque, who just returned to Malacañang last week, said the Palace is limiting authority to speak on COVID-19 matters to him and Health Undersecretary Rosario Vergeire for health-related issues.

The Palace spokesman cited as basis a memo from Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea which has yet to be released as of posting time.

"Nagkaroon na po ng pag-uutos ang ating Executive Secretary na information sharing will now be centralized through the Office of the Presidential Spokesperson," Roque said in a virtual press briefing.

(Our Executive Secretary ordered that information sharing will now be centralized through the Office of the Presidential Spokesperson.)

Roque said he was unaware as to what prompted the changes.

Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles has been holding daily virtual press briefings, giving updates on new government policies in relation to the country's pandemic response. 

He is the spokesperson of the government's inter-agency task force in charge of policymaking in relation to the coronavirus crisis.