MANILA (UPDATE) - The newborn baby who was earlier found infected with COVID-19 in Cebu City has tested negative for the virus in a subsequent screening, Mayor Edgar Labella said Wednesday.
The newborn was among the 7 new cases in Cebu City recorded Tuesday, according to the region's Department of Health.
"So again, ang bata nga kadtong giingon nga (*the baby who is) newborn, who was suspected or found to be positive the day before yesterday, on a subsequent testing is considered or found to be negative," Labella said in a virtual press briefing.
The DOH earlier said the baby's mother was showing symptoms of COVID-19 during labor. The woman later tested negative for the illness.
The baby, now 2 days old, will continue to be in the hospital for further observation, Labella said.
Cebu City has the most number of COVID 19 cases in the entire Region 7, with 173, as of Tuesday afternoon. More than 100 came from Sitio Zapatera in Barangay Luz which was earlier placed on lockdown.
On Wednesday, the city logged 139 more cases, the highest daily count so far. Of these fresh cases, 123 came from the city jail, according to the mayor.
Stricter measures are now being implemented inside jails, with visitors disallowed from personally bringing items to inmates, the mayor added.
Barangay Labangon, meantime, has placed itself on a lockdown after recording 5 cases of COVID-19, Labella said.
The city is studying the possibility of extending the enhanced community quarantine to 2 weeks up to a month, he said.