MANILA -- No Filipino has so far been reported hurt in the string of bomb blasts that struck hotels and churches across Sri Lanka on Sunday, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said.
In a statement, the DFA said Hugh Sriyal Dissanayake, the Philippines' honorary consul to the Sri Lankan capital, was in touch with Filipino community leaders in the area, who informed him that no Filipino was reported hurt in the explosions.
At least 156 people, including 35 foreigners, were killed on Sunday in a series of blasts that ripped through high-end hotels and churches holding Easter services in Sri Lanka.
In a statement, Malacañang expressed solidarity with Sri Lanka over the bombings.
"We express our sincere solidarity and offer our heartfelt prayers to the citizens of Sri Lanka as well as to the other people who have been affected by this horrific attack," Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a statement.
"Terrorism, as we often said, has no place in society and our nation, together with the rest of the world, is outraged by these latest senseless acts of terror and violence," said Panelo.
Sri Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe condemned the attacks and said the government was working to "contain the situation."
The nature of the blasts was not immediately clear and there were no immediate claims of responsibility.
But documents seen by news agency Agence France-Presse show that Sri Lanka's police chief Pujuth Jayasundara issued an intelligence alert to top officers 10 days ago, warning that suicide bombers planned to hit "prominent churches."
-- With a report from Agence France-Presse