Comelec extends filing of candidacy in barangay, SK elections until April 21

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Apr 20 2018 06:35 PM | Updated as of Apr 20 2018 10:43 PM

MANILA (2nd UPDATE)—Candidates running in next month's barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections may still file their certificate of candidacy (COC) until 5 p.m. Saturday, an official of the Commission on Elections said Friday.

Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez said the period for filing of COCs was extended due to the concern of the National Youth Commission that the number of COCs already filed would fall short of the barangay and SK positions that are up for grabs.

In Baguio, 40 villages have no SK elections candidates.

Comelec Baguio election officer Atty. John Paul Martin said the youth may be preoccupied with their work and school or has no interest in running for a public position at all.

“Pwede preoccupied sila sa kanilang trabaho at sa kanilang schooling pero okay naman tayo nung Sabado at Linggo. Or baka ayaw lang talaga nila, which is sad. We expected them to be more aggressive in filing sana lalo na ito yung first time na ma-implement yung SK Reform Law," he said.

Signed into law in January 2016, the SK Reform Act pegged the age of candidates from 18 to 24 years old. Previously, individuals aged 15 to 18 years old could run for office.

Submission of COCs began April 14. The campaign period will be from May 4 to 12, while the elections will be held on May 14.

The last barangay elections were held in October 2013, while the last SK elections were held in October of 2010.

--With a report from Micaella Ilao, ABS-CBN News