MANILA - The results of the ongoing community testing for the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Quezon City will determine whether the enhance community quarantine will be extended beyond April 30, a local official said Sunday.
Joseph Juico, the project coordinator for the city's community testing, said local executives are constantly discussing the issue of extending the lockdown in the city.
"That is something we are constantly talking with our executive department, to study and also consulting with our barangay officials to see if we are ready to open or to selectively open certain barangays in Quezon City," he told ANC.
According to Juico, the decision on whether to extend the lockdown will depend on the results of the community testing.
"It all depends on the number of people we can test, the number of results that we can get, the number of people that we can properly quarantine, the number of people who also follow the law," he said.
Juico said that the city has tested more than 1,000 people so far, and is planning on testing 2,000 more this week.
The city will also roll out 6 community testing facilities with the week, in addition to the 3 hospitals conducting COVID-19 testing in the city.
As of Saturday night, Quezon City has a total of 1,042 confirmed COVID-19 cases.
However, the city has only validated a little over 600, since some of those from the Department of Health's list do not have valid addresses in Quezon City.
The city has also reported 87 recoveries and 90 fatalities so far.
The local government, likewise, has placed 34 of its barangays under "extreme enhanced community quarantine".
As of Sunday, the Philippines has a total of 6,259 confirmed COVID-19 cases. Of this number, 572 have recovered while 409 have died.