N. Ecija mishap victims to get initial financial aid

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Apr 19 2017 11:09 AM

MANILA - The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) is heading to Carranglan, Nueva Ecija on Wednesday to inspect the site where a public utility bus crashed, leaving over 30 passengers dead.

LTFRB spokesperson Atty. Aileen Lizada said the agency will also start distributing the first tranche of insurance to the families of victims today.

"May initial release po today na P100,000 from the insurance," she told ABS-CBN's Umagang Kay Ganda. "Sabi ko give directly to the family victims."

Lizada said the LTFRB will also serve the suspension today to LeoMarick Trans, which owns two units.

She said they are looking at the possibility that the bus was overloaded following reports it was carrying over 70 passengers, including children and babies, when it fell off a 100-foot deep ravine.

The capacity of the ill-fated bus, said Lizada, is at 50 to 55.

The LTFRB chief said she has also ordered her staff to check on the chassis of the LeoMarick bus.

"Kasi the same as what happened in Tanay, the model in the certificate of registration is 1994, pero it was 1988 based on chassis number. We want to find out how old really is this bus," she said.

Meanwhile, the LTFRB chief also said she wants to personally check the crash site after receiving information that the place is already considered an accident-prone area.

She said there should be railings and proper signage placed on that part of the highway to prevent accidents.

"Nabalitaan ho namin na last year there was also a similar accident somehow in that area. Gusto ko lang malaman if may proper signage na along tha way," said Lizada.