MANILA - The Philippine government has so far prepared 2,780 quarantine facilities across the country for suspected coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases and for those having mild symptoms of the illness, a government official said Friday.
National Task Force (NTF) against COVID-19 chief implementer Carlito Galvez Jr. said the facilities can accommodate more than 167,000 patients.
The facilities are apart from ships that private shipping companies allowed to be used as quarantine sites.
In Central Luzon, the ASEAN Convention Center in Clark and the New Clark City Government Building and New Clark City Athletes' Village in Capas, Tarlac are ready to house some 1,700 patients.
Converting the Philippine Arena in Bocaue, Bulacan into a quarantine facility is ongoing, Galvez said. The world's largest indoor arena will house patients from Caloocan City, Malabon City, Navotas City, Valenzuela City, Quezon City in Metro Manila, and Bulacan.
Meanwhile, authorities are also finishing up the conversion of the Philippine Sports Arena or Ultra in Pasig City. It can accommodate 156 patients.
The Ninoy Aquino Stadium, Philippine International Convention Center, and World Trade Center are now ready for COVID-19 patients, Galvez said.
As of Friday, the number of coronavirus infections in the Philippines is 5,878. The tally includes 387 people who succumbed to the disease while 487 have recovered.