Joy Belmonte signs P2.8-B supplemental budget in QC fight vs COVID-19

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Apr 17 2020 11:15 PM

Police patrol a busy area along E. Rodriguez Avenue in Quezon City to make sure people are practicing physical distancing during the enhanced community quarantine. On Monday, Quezon City mayor Joy Belmonte signed a supplemental budget worth P2.8 billion for 2020 to fund the campaign against the COVID-19. Fernando G. Sepe Jr., ABS-CBN News

MANILA--Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte earlier this week signed a budget worth P2.8 billion for 2020 to supplement funding in the fight against the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).

"Wala dapat ikabahala ang ating mga residente dahil may nakalaang pondo para patuloy ang pag-alalay natin sa kanila sa gitna ng krisis na ito,” Belmonte said in a statement Friday.

(Our residents have nothing to worry about, because we have earmarked funds to support them through this crisis.)

The bulk of the 2020 supplemental budget will be spent on additional food and economic relief to support families, especially those who lost their livelihood amid the enhanced community quarantine imposed in Luzon to halt the contagion.

Some P697 million has been allocated for the purchase of more welfare goods, while P750 million will be given to families not included in the national government's social amelioration program (SAP), city budget officer Marian Orayani said in a statement.

Another P753 million has been set aside for the "Kalingang QC" program for vulnerable sectors, and provision of wages and hazard pay to city government employees identified as essential workers.

“We also allotted P200 million for the continued adjustment of the wages of our contractual and job-order employees to a livable rate, or not below the minimum P13,000,” said Orayani, adding that hazard pay will be given to all workers on duty during the quarantine. 

Under the Kalingang QC program, single parents, persons with disability (PWDs), vendors and public utility drivers were given a P2,000 financial assistance. The program was expanded to also cover transportation network vehicle services (TNVS) drivers, senior citizens and parents of PWDs.

As of Thursday, April 16, the number of COVID-19 cases in Quezon City is at 996. The disease has also killed 80 people, while 76 have recovered.