MANILA (UPDATE) - President Rodrigo Duterte said that he was prevented by his own daughter, Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio, to go back to his hometown Davao City due to the strict implementation of the enhanced community quarantine in the southern city.
In a public address Thursday, Duterte said that he initially wanted to go home to attend the birthdays of family members but was actively prevented from doing so by the younger Duterte.
Under the lockdown, all borders of Davao City are closed to traffic, except for vital cargoes and emergencies. The city’s airport and seaports are also closed.
“Hindi ko masisi ang anak ko, akala ko nagbibiro. Noong una sabi ko uuwi ako. Tapos tumawag kay Bong, sabihin mo kay mayor, 'di ko siya papayagang maglanding. Siyempre kung puntahan mo yung tower wala tayong magagawa. Yung tower hindi magbigay ng signal for you to land,” Duterte said.
(I cannot blame my daughter, I thought she was joking. At first I said I'm going home. Then she called Bong, tell mayor, I will not allow him to land. Of course if you go to the tower, we cannot do anything. The tower will give the signal for you to land.)
"Konting tiis lang, sabi dito. Konting tiis nga. Ako mismo, sabi ko sa'yo...Ang masakit sa akin, ang nagbawal sa akin mag-land, ang anak ko," he also said.
(Let's endure it for a little more. What hurts me is that my daughter herself did not allow me to go home.)
The President said that he is like most people who are feeling frustrated in being forced to stay indoors during the lockdown.
“Wala hong may gusto. Ako mismo naiinip na. Nag --- nagmumura na ako. Every time I wake up kakain ako breakfast, nagdadaldal na ako sa --- ito, ito ‘yung ano bang klaseng buhay ang inabot natin dito sa mundong ito ngayon,” he said.
(Nobody wants this. I myself I'm getting bored. Every time I wake up to eat breakfast, I say to myself. This, what kind of life are we in now.)
Despite this, the President reiterated his appeal to the public to follow lockdown protocols to prevent the further spread of the virus.
"I have to admit it. This thing about sequestration or quarantine is a cruel, it's a cruel action by the government. Hindi madali ito. Pati ako nasasaktan," he said.
(I have to admit it. This thing about sequestration or quarantine is a cruel, it's a cruel action by the government. This is not easy. Even I am hurt by this.)
Duterte placed Luzon under enhanced community quarantine last month. It was supposed to end on April 12, but was extended until April 30.
The Philippines is in a state of public health emergency and calamity over COVID-19 that has spread out of its origin, China, to nearly 200 countries and territories since it was first detected late last year.
As of Thursday, the country has a total of 5,660 confirmed COVID-19 cases. Of this number, 362 have died and 435 have recovered.