Cavite surgeon loses life in COVID-19 frontlines

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Apr 16 2020 11:55 AM

MANILA - A doctor at the helm of Cavite province's fight against COVID-19 succumbed to the respiratory pandemic, authorities said. 

Dr. Ronaldo Mateo, head surgeon and one of the pioneers of the Pagamutan ng Dasmarinas, passed away last April 5 after battling COVID-19, said Cavite 4th District Rep. Elpidio Barzaga Jr. 
 
The hospital's operating room complex will be named after the 47-year-old doctor in recognition of his "heroism and service to the city," said the lawmaker. 

"Ang kanyang katapangan sa pagtupad ng kanyang tungkulin bilang medical frontliner sa gitna ng kinakaharap na krisis ay hindi malilimutan kailanman," Barzaga said on Facebook. 

(His bravery in fulfilling his duty as a medical frontliner on this crisis will never be forgotten.) 

 

The Philippine College of Surgeons also lauded Mateo for "focusing on the needs of his townmates in Silang and Dasmarinas." 

"He will be remembered through the many lives he has touched," it said in a separate Facebook post. 

Mateo was a "loving husband, proud father, a responsible man, [and] a fighter", added the Emilio Aguinaldo Medical Center. 

The coronavirus pandemic has infected at least 252 health workers and left dead 12 other medical professionals, the health department said last week.