MANILA - The Department of Education (DepEd) on Wednesday said it was consulting schools and parents, following suggestions to adjust enrollment dates in case the coronavirus crisis stalled the opening of classes in June.
Secretary Leonor Briones said some groups want to move the opening of classes to August, but the DepEd has yet to decide on the matter.
"Tinitingnan din natin yan dahil kung magstart ng August, that means aabutin ng summer, aabutin ng kasagsagan ng init at hindi naman lahat ng school buildings natin handa sa matinding init at kasagsagan ng maraming summer diseases ng mga bata," Briones told DZMM's Failon Ngayon.
"Hopefully before the end of April, magkaroon na kami ng klarong desisyon tungkol sa enrollment," she said.
DepEd has prepared a "continuity learning plan" in case the coronavirus crisis prolongs class suspensions, Senate Committee on Basic Education chair Sherwin Gatchalian earlier said. Details of the program were not disclosed.
The plan will likely involve the use of online educational platforms, Briones hinted.
"Even before COVID, nakikita na namin na ang direksyon ng education, talagang patungo na sa mas matinding pag gamit, malawak na pag gamit ng technology," the DepEd chief said.
(Even before COVID, we were already looking at ways of expanding the use of technology in our education systems.)
Most schools were able to adapt quickly to online class setups since these were already being practiced before the global pandemic, she said.
Classes in all levels were suspended in Luzon and other parts of the country last month shortly before the national government placed the Philippines' most populous island under a nearly 2-month lockdown to curb the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
The Palarong Pambansa, graduation rites, and other school activities this summer have been suspended as Health officials banned large congregations to limit the transmission of the contagious disease.