70% of cops ordered dismissed still in service: PNP-IAS

Maan Macapagal, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Apr 14 2018 01:43 AM

MANILA - The Philippine National Police Internal Affairs Service (PNP-IAS) has called for an investigation after receiving complaints that 70% of the police it recommended for dismissal are still in the service. 

In order for a policeman to be dismissed, the PNP chief or regional commander must sign the dismissal order based on IAS recommendation.

“Dahil na rin sa mga ibang na re-receive kong report o complaint ng aming mga complainant na mga kaso sa IAS na yung mga aming mga ni recommend na tinanggal sa pwesto ay nakikita pa rin nila na ang mga respondent ay naka-uniporme at pumapasok pa rin,” PNP-IAS Inspector Gen. Atty. Alfegar Triambulo said.

PNP-IAS inventory showed that from 2015 to 2017, only 721 out of 2,431 cases have been successfully implemented. This means only 30% were acted upon, leaving 1,1710 or 70% of the cases not implemented. 

Data also showed that 567 recommendations for dismissal from the service were made. 

Only 159 were implemented. 408 were not implemented. 

Once the policeman receives the dismissal order, he or she is given 10 days to file a motion for reconsideration. In 30 days, the PNP chief or any disciplinary authority will review the motion and give a final decision. 

The PNP-IAS wants to find out what went wrong in the implementation. 

“Ang procedure kasi nyan, pagkatapos mapirmahan ng Inspector General o Regional Director ng IAS ay fino-forward po namin sa PNP disciplinary authority. Kung sa Crame ay Chief PNP, pag sa region ay ang regional director ng police regional office. So hindi po namin alam kung sino po yung responsible po diyan,” Triambulo said. 

Meanwhile, the PNP Directorate for Personnel and Records Management (DPRM) said they have been diligent in the implementation of the dismissal recommendation. 

DPRM data showed that from 2016-2018, 1,700 cases have been signed by PNP chief Ronald dela Rosa. Cases range from dismissal to demotion to suspension and salary forfeiture. 

Dismissed from the service 438
Demoted 108
Suspended 236
Restricted 2
Reprimanded 17
Exonerated 358
Case dismissed 561
Forfeiture of salary 1
Others (Remanded, Entitled for retirement benefits, Separated, Closed and Terminated, etc.) 15 

According to the Discipline, Law and Order Division of DPRM, they follow a procedural due process. 

“Hindi porke’t napirmahan na ni Chief PNP, impose mo na agad. Meron tayong procedural due process. Once na napirmahan na ni chief PNP ang decision, iyung decision pa lang, we have to inform the respondent. Kaya binibigyan pa natin sila ng motion for reconsideration,” said Chief Insp. Gregorio Oscar Tumbali Jr., chief of the Law and Order Section of DPRM Discipline Law and Order Division.

"Yon po yung mga nagpapatagal… Sayang kasi ang kaso. Once na hindi na-receive ng respondent yung ano natin, hindi siya na-inform, violation ng procedural due process," he added.

The PNP-IAS said the Department of Interior and Local Government has asked the technical working group of the PNP Internal Cleansing Program to conduct the investigation.