ZAMBOANGA CITY - Western Mindanao Command chief Lt. Gen. Carlito Galvez Jr. on Monday said he would do his best when he assumes command of the entire military on April 24.
Galvez will take over from the current Armed Forces of the Philippines Chief of Staff, General Leonardo Guerrero, as the organization runs after Islamic State-inspired extremists in the south.
"I will do my best, as always," Galvez told reporters here. He declined further comment.
The Wesmincom, under Galvez, was at the forefront of the 5-month battle to repel Maute extremists from Marawi City, which ended in October last year.
Prior to heading the Wesmincom, Galvez was chief of the Philippine Army's 6th Infantry Division based in Maguindanao.
During the previous administration, Galvez also served as chairman of the government’s Coordinating Committee on the Cessation of Hostilities (CCCH), which is tasked to ensure that the ceasefire between the government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) remains intact.
Having served as CCCH chair, Galvez had worked closely with the MILF, which is now seeking the passage of the proposed Bangsamoro Basic Law.
Galvez was guest of honor at Monday's Araw ng Kagitingan program at the Veterans Memorial Shrine in Rizal Park, Zamboanga City.
The Day of Valor marks the fall of Bataan to Japanese invaders during World War II.
Report from Jewel Reyes, ABS-CBN News