DOH: COVID-19 cases in Quezon City rise to 583

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Apr 07 2020 01:49 AM | Updated as of Apr 07 2020 04:03 PM

MANILA - The Quezon City government late Monday said the total number of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases in the city has reached 583, according to the Department of Health (DOH).

The number of COVID-19 cases with complete addresses in Quezon City is now at 557.

However, the total number of validated cases by the QC Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit is at 469 so far.

The city government, in explaining the difference in the figures, said that it has yet to validate the new cases recorded by the DOH.

"The sudden rise in confirmed cases is due to the database access given by the Department of Health (DOH) to the City Health Department," the city's media bulletin said.

The Quezon City government, meanwhile, said it has recorded no new fatality, with the total coronavirus-related deaths in the city still at 34, while one new recovery was reported, bringing the total to 15. 

Twenty-nine barangays in the city have been placed under extreme enhanced community quarantine.

In an effort to contain the virus, decontamination efforts are ongoing in different barangays, city officials said.

As of Monday, the total of disinfected areas are at 533 locations in 142 barangays.

Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte issued Executive Order No. 25, series of 2020, ordering residents to wear any form of covering for the nose and mouth, such as face masks, in all public places within the city to help prevent the spread of the disease.

Belmonte also said the local government will be distributing boxes of masks to its enforcers, who shall then distribute them to people who do not have masks so they can comply with the order.