MANILA - Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña on Friday said he would still push through with his plan to seek the disbarment of former Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II even after the Cabinet official stepped down.
Osmeña initially sought Aguirre's disbarment as he alleged the former secretary intervened in the complaint the mayor filed against 2 branches of BDO Unibank in his city, which allegedly did not pay correct taxes. The Department of Justice had dismissed the complaint for insufficiency of evidence.
"He (Aguirre) will still have his day," Osmeña told reporters a day after President Rodrigo Duterte announced he has accepted his justice secretary's resignation.
Osmeña said Aguirre's resignation was "just the first step" in his quest against the banking giant and its parent company, SM Investments Corporation, which also runs one of the biggest chain of malls in the country.
In denying the business permits of several branches last year, Osmeña alleged that one of BDO's branches in Cebu City declared only P6,000 in profit for one year.
The friction between the two officials escalated after Aguirre tagged Osmeña as a protector of drug lords in his city. Osmeña denied the charge and challenged Aguirre to file necessary cases.
Aguirre said the department was building and fortifying its case against Osmeña. - report from Annie Perez, ABS-CBN News