DOH: COVID-19 cases in Quezon City rise to 476

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Apr 04 2020 02:04 AM

The Quezon City government late Friday said the total number of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases in the city has reached 476, according to the Department of Health (DOH).

The number of COVID-19 cases with complete addresses in Quezon City is now at 324, which are still subject to validation, it added.

However, the total number of validated cases by the QC Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit is only 188 so far.

The city government, in explaining the difference in the figures, said that it has yet to validate the new cases recorded by the DOH.

"The sudden rise in confirmed cases is due to the database access given by the Department of Health (DOH) to the City Health Department," the city's media bulletin said.

"The City Health Department clarifies that the raw data from the DOH is subject to the validation of the Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit, health center staff, and barangay officials to ensure that these patients are actual residents of Quezon City. Corrections will be made as the city verifies these cases," it added. 

The Quezon City government, meanwhile, said it has recorded 1 new fatality, bringing the total coronavirus-related deaths in the city to 34, while the number of recoveries remained at 14.

Eighteen barangays in the city have been placed under extreme enhanced community quarantine.

In an effort to contain the virus, decontamination efforts are ongoing in different barangays, city officials said.

As of Friday, the total of disinfected areas remained at 496 locations in 142 barangays.

The Quezon City government said it will be partnering with the Philippine Red Cross (PRC) to put up multiple testing sites in the city for persons under investigation and persons with signs and symptoms of COVID-19. All test samples that will be gathered will be handed to PRC for proper testing. 

They also purchased four mechanical ventilators in response to the growing number of COVID-19 cases in the city which will be distributed in three local hospitals. 

Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte warned that barangay captains and other city officials who will fail to distribute food packs to residents affected by the enhanced community quarantine will be punished.