Privacy body awaits military report on 'data breach'

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Apr 04 2019 12:03 PM | Updated as of Apr 04 2019 12:21 PM

Watch more in iWant or TFC.tv

MANILA - The National Privacy Commission on Thursday said it is coordinating with the military over an alleged data breach that exposed the sensitive information of thousands of personnel. 

Local hacker group Pinoy LulzSec earlier this week claimed that it accessed a data base containing the personal files, missions and injuries of some 20,000 soldiers. 

The breach, it said, was part of a 3-day hacking event called "April Lulz Day", where international affiliates participated.

Under protocol, agencies targeted by hackers have 72 hours to notify the NPC of the situation, said commission Chairman Raymund Liboro. 

"Naghihintay tayo ng breach notification," he told radio DZMM. 

(We are waiting for a breach notification.) 

"Ina-assess din natin iyung extent ng pangyayaring ito," he added. 

(We are also assessing the extent of this incident.)

The NPC, he said, was also looking into the vulnerabilities of other government-run websites that hackers tried to access. 

Lt. Col. Ramon Zagala, Army spokesman, has denied the supposed hack. 

The breach happened last year and was addressed in January 2019, but hackers only exposed the breach last Monday to make it appear that they participated in the April Lulz Day, he was quoted as saying in media reports.