PNP to seek SolGen's advice on submission of drug war report

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Apr 04 2018 12:00 PM | Updated as of Jan 11 2019 06:24 PM

PNP to seek SolGen's advice on submission of drug war report 1
A police officer lists down names of suspected drug users and pushers at a processing center in Tondo, Manila. File Photo/Jonathan Cellona, ABS-CBN News

MANILA - The Philippine National Police on Wednesday said it will seek legal advice from the Office of the Solicitor General after the Supreme Court ordered the government to submit reports on the deaths of more than 3,800 drug suspects.

This, after the Supreme Court already denied Solicitor General Jose Calida's motion for reconsideration which argued that the documents being sought by the court cannot be submitted since they involve sensitive information that has national security implications.

In a statement, PNP spokesman Chief Superintendent John Bulalacao said the police force respects the Supreme Court's resolution ordering them to submit their reports on the administration's war on drugs.

"We assure the public that our campaign against illegal drugs is constitutional, legal and is implemented in the interest of public safety," it said.

It was Solicitor General Jose Calida who first refused to comply with the Supreme Court's order for the Duterte administration to submit reports on the death linked to the drug war.

Among the documents requested were personal information of those killed, copies of warrants if issued, pre-operation plans, and post-operation reports.

Calida filed a motion for reconsideration, arguing that the documents being sought cannot be submitted because they contain sensitive information that have national security implications.

The high court denied Calida's motion yesterday.

President Rodrigo Duterte had also previously announced his refusal to release documents on drug war killings, saying former president Gloria Macapagal Arroyo also did the same when she elevated the drug problem into a national security concern.

Duterte said such documents were considered "state secrets."

Data from law enforcement units show the war on drugs has resulted to the killing of 3,800 personalities from July 2016 to September 2017. They were killed in presumed-legitimate anti-drug operations.

--report from Bianca Dava and Henry Atuelan, ABS-CBN News