Dela Rosa fine with release of drug war records

Dharel Placido, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Apr 02 2019 07:55 PM

MANILA - Former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief and senatorial aspirant Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa on Tuesday said he was unfazed by the release of thousands of police documents in relation to the government’s war on drugs.

“Wala akong concern. Walang akong tinatago at wala akong takot dyan. Go ahead, that’s a public document. Kunin niyo iyan, kung ano ang gusto niyo,” Dela Rosa told reporters at a chance interview on the sidelines of the campaig rally of PDP-Laban in Malabon.

(I am not concerned. I have nothing to hide and nothing to fear. Go ahead, that’s public document. Get them. Get whatever you want.)

The Supreme Court on Tuesday ordered the Office of the Solicitor General (OSG) to furnish petitioners copies of thousands of police documents in relation to the government’s war on drugs.

Dela Rosa said he understood Solicitor General Jose Calida’s apprehension in releasing the documents, citing possible "police harassment" but reiterated police had nothing to hide. 

“Okay sa akin kasi wala kaming tinatago (We are okay with it because we are not hiding anything). Open kami to anything,” Dela Rosa said.

As PNP chief for nearly two years, Dela Rosa had overseen President Rodrigo Duterte’s deadly war on drugs that attracted global condemnation.

Dela Rosa is now running for senator, vowing to pursue policies endorsed by the President, such as the reimposition of death penalty for big-time drug traders.

Two petitions are currently pending in the high court questioning the constitutionality of the government’s war on drugs, which has so far resulted in the deaths of over 5,000 people, according to official government data.

- with Mike Navallo, ABS-CBN News