MANILA - A consortium of Chinese and Filipino companies was selected to rebuild ground zero or the most affected areas of war-torn Marawi City, Housing Secretary Eduardo del Rosario confirmed on Monday.
Del Rosario, whose agency leads Task Force Bangon Marawi, told ABS-CBN News he approved the "Bangon Marawi Consortium" (BMC), composed of 5 Chinese and 4 Filipino firms, but stressed that no awards have been given yet.
"Based on the recommendation of our Selection Committee, BMC was recommended and I have approved it. However, please note that we are now conducting detailed negotiations with the selected developer while at the same scheduling a series of consultations on the ground with all stakeholders," he said in a text message.
Del Rosario said they will finalize granting the "original proponent status" to the consortium after their consultations with the stakeholders by the last week of April. This will be subjected to a swiss challenge, meaning the task force will be open to counter-offers.
Here is a list of companies that compose the Bangon Marawi Consortium provided by Del Rosario:
China State Construction Engineering Corp., Ltd.
Anhui Huali Construction Group Co. Ltd.
China Geo Engineering Corp.
TBEA Co., Ltd.
Shandong Jinyuan Homes Industry Development Co. Ltd.
Future Homes Philippines Inc.
A Brown Company, Inc.
H.S. Pow Construction and Development
SDW Realty & Development, Inc.
Del Rosario said they originally got 5 unsolicited proposals which they ranked based on the standards set by the task force before the selection committee came up with this recommendation.
Falconi Ace Millar, Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council Secretary General, earlier said China and Malaysia both expressed interest in submitting a proposal for the rehabilitation of parts of Marawi City worst affected by conflict.
The most affected areas, which was called the main battle area during the height of the Marawi siege, is a 250-hectare land composed of 24 barangays. Residents of this area are allowed to visit their homes before the government clears the debris there in May.