Limited water supply continues to hound parts of Metro Manila, Rizal

MIchael Joe Delizo, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Mar 30 2019 11:30 AM

MANILA – Some residents of Metro Manila and Rizal covered by concessionaire Manila Water continue to experience intermittent water supply amid the continuing implementation of a rotational supply scheme. 

Watch more in iWant or TFC.tv

This as the water concessionaire continued to balance its available supply to cover its distribution area. The firm has been grappling with declining stock at its emergency source, the La Mesa Dam, amid lack of rains, while demand has increased. 

In a telephone interview Saturday, Manila Water Corporate Communications head Jeric Sevilla Jr. said the “rotational water supply scheme” which started on March 14 is still in effect to balance water supply distribution in its concession area.

Manila Water Communications Planning and Tactical Development Manager Dittie Galang, meanwhile, said the concessionaire has restored supply to some 97 percent of its customers, with taps guaranteed to have water 8 to 12 hours every day. 

But some areas that are either elevated or far from the supply area remain without water because of some technical issues affecting distribution. 

“Ninety-seven percent ng service area ng Manila Water ang mayroon nang tubig. ’Yung natitirang 3 percent na medyo nacha-challenge pa kaming abutin dahil ito ’yung mga nandoon sa medyo higher elevation,” she told Bandila. 

(Water supply has been restored to 97 percent of Manila Water’s service area. We are still facing a challenge to reach the remaining 3 percent because this area is in the higher elevation.)

The Ayala-led concessionaire assured though that extended service interruptions will not last for the entire dry season as levels of various reservoirs are continuously increasing. 

The supply problem had, at its height, seen residents lining up for water rationing and even drawing water from swimming pools.