LAPU-LAPU CITY, Cebu—Nearly P200,000 worth of goods were damaged when a fire broke out at a cardboard factory here on Good Friday afternoon.
The factory, owned by former Philippine Basketball Association player Jun Tan, was closed for the Holy Week break when the fire broke out.
"One worker of ours who was here, saw a spark inside. The next thing he know the fire already spread out. For sure we'll cooperate with the BFP (Bureau of Fire Protection) on the investigation," Tan said, adding that cardboards were scheduled for shipment to clients next week.
Firemen said they were notified about 2:40 p.m. and raised the alarm to Task Force Alpha out of fear that the blaze will spread to a nearby private hospital.
Lapu Lapu City Fire Marshal Rogelio Bongabong cited an electrical short circuit as the initial cause of the fire.
"We will check on the wiring if they're properly installed and monitored," Bongabong said.
The fire was declared under control at 3:40 p.m. No casualties and fatalities were reported.