With exemptions, Quezon residents wanting to pass through Laguna will be denied entry - gov

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Mar 28 2020 06:14 PM

MANILA - Quezon province residents traveling to Metro Manila who want to pass through Laguna will be denied entry as the province goes into lockdown to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus, Laguna Gov. Ramil Hernandez said Saturday.

In an interview, Hernandez said Quezon residents who want to pass through Laguna will be rejected if they're not among the exemptions based on the Philippine inter-agency on the coronavirus response.

"Meron po tayong listahan ng mga exempted under the national guidelines," he told radio DZMM.

(We have a list of those who are exempted under national guidelines.)

These include workers and personnel of health institutions, police, military, and companies in the food industry.

Laguna, which is in the south of Manila, serves as a pass-thru for Quezon residents traveling in and out of the capital region.

Earlier in the day, the governor placed Laguna under "total lockdown" after the number of COVID-19 cases in the province rose to 23. 

The lockdown took effect 1 p.m.

Hernandez said only select authorized persons may head outdoors, including medical workers, those in the security sector such as police officers and soldiers, local and barangay officials, and private sector employees in businesses engaged in basic services such as supermarkets, drug stores, food establishments, banks, remittance centers, utilities, cargo and firms engaged in the manufacture of food, medicine and hygiene products. 

Laguna has logged 23 cases of the coronavirus, with 687 persons under investigation and 10,136 persons under monitoring. 

As of Saturday, the Philippines has recorded 1,075 cases of COVID-19, with 68 deaths and 35 recoveries.