MANILA (UPDATE) - A 6.1-magnitude earthquake jolted Sarangani province late Thursday, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said.
It was upgraded from an initial magnitude 6.0.
The tectonic tremor occurred at 11:38 p.m. some 17 kilometers east of Maasim town. It struck at a depth of 49 kilometers.
Here are the reported intensities:
- Intensity V - Maasim, Glan, and Malapatan, Sarangani; Tupi, South Cotabato; General Santos City; Palimbang, Sultan Kudarat
- Intensity IV - Jose Abad Santos, Malita, and Sarangani, Davao Occidental; Koronadal City
- Intensity III - Davao City; Maco, and Mawab, Davao de Oro
- Intensity VI - General Santos City
- Intensity V - Alabel, and Malungon, Sarangani
- Intensity IV - Koronadal City
- Intensity I - Gingoog City, Misamis Oriental
Phivolcs said the quake is expected to cause damage and spawn aftershocks.