MANILA - The Department of Education said Friday one of its school division officials in Mandaluyong who attended a national event for students had tested positive for the novel coronavirus.
The official "visited some competition events" at the National Festival of Talents in Iligan City this month, which drew delagates from across the country. He tested positive for COVID-19 on Wednesday, the DepEd said.
"The patient is confined at a hospital and is recovering. Our field units have provided assistance for his hospitalization," the agency said in a statement.
None of the patient's colleagues have shown symptoms of the respiratory disease so far, said DepEd.
However, a "small number of participants" of the Festival of Talents and the National Schools Press Conference were classified as patients under investigation, said the agency.
The health department defines a patient under investigation as someone who has COVID-19 symptoms and exposure to a carrier of the disease.
"There is no link that can be established" between the DepEd official from Mandaluyong and the PUIs, said the education agency.
The DepEd said it had coordinated with the health department, which ordered an "extensive contact tracing" of those who interacted with the sick official.
"The health and well-being of our teachers and learners being our highest priority, we will monitor the case closely and follow up on any further developments that may arise," the DepEd said.