The province of Cagayan recorded two new cases of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) on Thursday, according to health officials.
The Cagayan Valley Center for Health and Development (CVCHD) said one of them is a 39-year-old man from Tuao town.
“Dumating po ang kaniyang result noong March 25 at positive po siya sa COVID-19,” Dr. Leticia Cabrera, acting director of CVCHD, said in a press briefing.
Cabrera said the patient experienced fever and sore throat a few days after he arrived from Metro Manila where he fetched his wife, a domestic worker who returned from Hong Kong.
“Sila po ay nagbiyahe noong March 14 mula Maynila. Sumakay sila ng Florida Bus Number GD73. Dumating sila Tuguegarao City noong March 15. Sunod na sumakay sila ng jeep na punung-puno papuntang Tuao. Bumaba sila sa terminal doon saka sumakay ng tricycle pauwi ng kanilang bahay,” said Baggao.
The patient, tagged as PH661, is now on his eighth day in quarantine at the Cagayan Valley Medical Center.
His health remains stable, according to Dr. Glenn Baggao, chief of CVMC.
“Walang nakakabit na suwero sa kaniya, malakas siya. Ang sarap nga daw niya kumain, sabi ng ating mga nurse. Meron siyang diabetes, pero kontrolado naman,” Baggao said.
Baggao also confirmed that the patient’s wife is now under strict home quarantine.
The Cagayan epidemiological unit is conducting contact tracing to identify those who were exposed to the patient.
Another Cagayan resident positive for COVID-19 is a 70-year-old man from Gattaran town. He was diagnosed with the disease, based on his medical results from the Research Institute of Tropical Medicine in Muntinlupa.
The patient, identified as PH662, experienced fever and dry cough, prompting him to seek consultation at CVMC.
The patient reportedly traveled from Metro Manila to Cagayan on March 12 onboard a private car.
CVMC allowed the patient to go home because of his mild symptoms and he was advised to go on strict self-quarantine.
With the two new infections, there are now a total of three COVID-19 cases in Cagayan.
Last week, Cagayan confirmed its first positive case, a 44-year-old fireman working in Metro Manila who came home to Tuguegarao on March 15.
Meanwhile, Nueva Vizcaya officials announced Thursday the province's first COVID-19 case.
In a social media post, Gov. Carlos Padilla identified the patient as a 65-year-old man from Solano town, who died before being confirmed with the virus.
Before he died, he was admitted to the Region 2 Trauma and Medical Center on March 18. However, he passed away the next day due to severe acute respiratory problem.
His remains are kept in a freezer at a funeral home, according to Padilla.
Isabela Gov. Rodolfo Albano III also announced in a radio interview that his province has also recorded its first case of COVID-19.
The identity of the patient was withheld.
Contract tracing is underway to identify and monitor those who were exposed to the patient.