MANILA - The Commission on Elections (Comelec) said Wednesday the Department of Health (DOH) has assured compliance with election rules after the removal of posters of Malasakit Centers showing the photo of Senate aspirant Christopher "Bong" Go.
The poll body said Health Secretary Francisco Duque III has issued a memorandum to all DOH officials and employees reiterating the department's policy against campaign materials in public health centers, hospitals, and other buildings.
"Secretary Duque has assured the Comelec that all officials and employees will comply with all relevant Comelec Rules and Regulations in relation to the May 13, 2019 National and Local Elections," Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez said in a statement.
The development came after the Comelec requested the DOH last week to remove posters of Malasakit Centers in public buildings bearing the face of Go, an administration candidate.
The Malasakit Center is dubbed as a one-stop shop for indigents needing medical and financial assistance from the government.
President Rodrigo Duterte has credited Go for conceptualizing the center.
Go, who has been accused of using government funds for his senatorial bid, earlier said he has told his supporters not to post such posters.
"Paulit-ulit ko na po sinabi, tanggalin niyo na po mukha at pangalan ko sa posters at tarps. Huwag niyo na po ikabit iyan. Itulong niyo na lang sa mga nangangailangan,” he said last week.
(I’ve repeatedly said this: Remove my name and face in the posters and tarpaulins. Don’t put them up. Just use the money to help those who are in need.)