MANILA - Police academy cadets who allegedly mauled their seniors after their graduation rites last week will be dismissed if proven guilty, a National Police Commission (Napolcom) official said Monday.
Napolcom Vice Chairman Rogelio Casurao said there is no reason for Philippine National Police Academy (PNPA) cadets tagged in the incident to continue training if their involvement in the mauling incident is proven.
"Ang mga kadeteng 'yan, they have no reasons to continue with their training. So they have to be dismissed from the cadetship. Kasi masyadong mabigat, serious itong ginawa nila," he said.
Six new PNPA graduates were reportedly mauled by their underclassmen after their graduation rites on Wednesday. Initial probe showed the cadets were angry at their seniors for imposing strict policies on them.
Casurao said a "very serious" investigation into the incident has begun. Criminal charges await the cadets involved in the mauling, he added.
PNP chief Director General Ronald "Bato" Dela Rosa, meanwhile, said that underclassmen mauling their seniors after graduation has been an "on and off tradition" in the academy.
But he said this tradition must stop as it promotes a cycle of violence. Dela Rosa is leaving the investigation of the incident to the PNPA management.
-- reports from Bianca Dava and Henry Atuelan, ABS-CBN News