NBI to appeal release of suspect in Cebu teen's rape-slay

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Mar 25 2019 07:52 AM | Updated as of Mar 25 2019 08:11 AM

Watch more in iWant or TFC.tv

The National Bureau of Investigation said Monday it will file a motion for reconsideration to nullify an order to release a teen suspect in the killing of 16-year-old Christine Lee Silawan in Cebu province. 

The Lapu-Lapu City Prosecutor's Office, in a resolution Friday, ordered the release of the 17-year-old suspect from the social department's custody because he was arrested without a warrant several days after the crime was committed.

The planned motion for reconsideration will justify the hot pursuit operation against the suspect in hopes of reversing the order from the prosecutor's office, said NBI-Central Visayas Director Atty. Tomas Enrile. 

The suspect was arrested based on surveillance clips linking him to the crime and a search warrant on his electronic devices, he noted. 

The teen last week admitted that he participated in the crime and that he had 2 cohorts, but he did not have a lawyer, preventing authorities from getting his judicial affidavit, Enrile told radio DZMM. 

"Talagang we are certain of his participation, pero we are not yet closing this case kasi may mga kasama siya," said the official. 

(We are really certain of his participation, but we are not yet closing this case because he had cohorts.) 

Authorities have received information on the possible identity of the teen's companions, he said. 

The victim, a student of the Maribago High School, was found dead in Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu on March 11. She was allegedly raped and her facial skin peeled off.