MANILA - The left-leaning Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) on Sunday said it will file a formal complaint against Manila Water over the water shortage felt in parts of Metro Manila.
Bayan secretary general Renato Reyes said Manila Water may be held liable for "violating [their] contractual obligations" over their failure to provide "uninterrupted water service" stipulated under their concession agreement with the government.
The group said the complaint will be filed on Monday before the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS), which serves as the regulator of water concessionaires like Manila Water.
"We will demand MWSS to impose penalties on Manila Water for violating the contractual obligations to provide uninterrupted water services. This is under Article 10.4 of the concession agreement," Reyes said in a statement.
In their complaint, Bayan is asking MWSS to suspend the distribution of Manila Water's billing charges for March, as well as a hold order against the approved water rate hike for both water concessionaires.
Manila Water was the subject of criticism and legislative investigations last week after a water shortage affected millions of its consumers in parts of Metro Manila.
Senators and Congressmen have said that they want the concessionaire penalized over the water shortage that hit parts of Metro Manila and Rizal province over the past few weeks.
Manila Water has attributed the problem to increased demand, lack of rains, the declining supply at the La Mesa Dam, its emergency resource, and delays in infrastructure projects supposed to boost supply.