MANILA - The Quezon City government on Friday confirmed 8 new cases of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), raising the city's tally to 40.
Three of them are doctors who were treating patients carrying the disease, Mayor Joy Belmonte said. One of the doctors also infected 2 family members.
From the total tally, 5 recovered while 2 died, the city government said.
Quezon City, the largest and most populated city in Metro Manila with an estimated population of 2.9 million, has the most number of COVID-19 cases in the Philippines' capital region.
The city government has also found the COVID-19 patient who supposedly went missing.
Belmonte also appealed for a "ceasefire" after facing criticism for her handling of the COVID-19 pandemic.
"Sana naman 'yong pag-troll ninyo sa akin, sana mag-ceasefire muna tayo ngayon. Kasi ito ay panahon ng krisis. Hindi na ito tungkol sa politika... Sana 'wag na lang nilang i-fuel 'yong sense of panic sa ating lungsod," she said.
(I hope that you stop trolling me. Let's have a ceasefire. We are in a time of crisis. This is not about politics anymore... I hope they don't fuel a sense of panic in the city.)
The Philippines, which is under a state of public health emergency, has so far recorded 230 coronavirus infections, with 18 deaths and 8 recoveries.
To arrest the spread of the disease, the national government declared a month-long enhanced community quarantine in Luzon, bringing many economic activities to a grinding halt.
Globally, the virus, which originated in the Chinese city of Wuhan, has sickened more than 200,000 people and killed 8,778 as of March 19.
- With a report from Chiara Zambrano, ABS-CBN News