CA rejects Trillanes plea to stop reopened rebellion trial

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Mar 20 2019 07:43 AM | Updated as of Mar 20 2019 01:34 PM

MANILA - (2ND UPDATE) The Court of Appeals has denied Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV’s bid to temporarily stop the hearing of the reopened rebellion charges against him. 

Trillanes' earlier asked the appellate court for a temporary restraining order and/or a writ of preliminary injunction to prevent the Makati Regional Trial Court Branch 150 from reopening the case that stemmed from his involvement in the Manila Peninsula siege in 2007.

"We may not temporarily restrain or preliminarily enjoin the prosecution of the criminal action for rebellion at this stage because to do so would grant the principal prayer for certiorari, prohibition and/or injunction without the benefit of a hearing," read the resolution penned by Assoc. Justice Apolinario Bruselas Jr., dated March 18.

The CA instead ordered the Makati regional trial court and the Department of Justice to submit their comments.

The former Magdalo mutineer's rebellion case was supposed to resume Wednesday afternoon for presentation of the prosecution’s evidence, but the Makati Regional Trial Court Branch 150 rescheduled the hearing to May 27 because of conflict in the schedule of Trillanes’ lawyer, Reynaldo Robles.

Robles is also representing former Bureau of Corrections chief Franklin Jesus Bucayu in a Muntinlupa drugs case involving Sen. Leila de Lima.

"We will evaluate whether or not there is a need to apply for injunctive relief when the time comes, after the respondents in the case shall have filed their comments," Robles said in a statement.

"We are hoping that the Honorable Court of Appeals will already be in a position to rule on the merits of said application at that time, after hearing the parties in that regard," he added.

In 2011, former President Benigno Aquino III granted amnesty to Trillanes and other soldiers who revolted against the government over alleged massive corruption in the military under the presidency of Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.

Last year, President Rodrigo Duterte issued Proclamation No. 572 that voided the Magdalo senator's amnesty.

The proclamation was issued shortly after a Senate committee headed by Trillanes began investigations on allegations that a security agency owned by the family of Solicitor General Jose Calida bagged 10 government contracts right after his appointment. 

- with a report from Mike Navallo, ABS-CBN News