MANILA - The International Criminal Court (ICC) on Tuesday said the Philippines' withdrawal from the Rome Statute, which established the international court, will not affect its preliminary examination into crimes allegedly committed in President Rodrigo Duterte's drug war.
"A withdrawal becomes effective one year after the deposit of notice of withdrawal to the United Nations (UN) Secretary-General. A withdrawal has no impact on on-going proceedings or any matter which was already under consideration by the Court prior to the date on which the withdrawal became effective; nor on the status of any judge already serving at the Court," the ICC said.
The United Nations Secretary-General received the Philippines' written notification of withdrawal from the Rome Statute on Saturday, according to the ICC.
The ICC said it was notified by the UN on Monday night.
"The Court regrets this development and encourages the Philippines to remain part of the ICC family," it said.
The ICC has started a preliminary examination on the information filed by lawyer Jude Sabio against Duterte in connection with his administration's campaign against illegal drugs.
Duterte announced the Philippines' move to withdraw from the ICC last week.
Several rights groups earlier said proceedings at the ICC on the information filed against Duterte over deaths in his drug war would continue despite his decision to withdraw the country's ratification of the treaty that created the tribunal.