Boracay closure to tourists 'likely' by April: interior official

Ron Gagalac, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Mar 20 2018 04:19 PM | Updated as of Dec 08 2018 01:23 AM

MANILA - Boracay may be shut down as early as April, for a maximum of one year, to give way to a massive clean up, an interior official said Tuesday.

Tourists will be barred from the entering the island. Businesses will not be told to shut down, but they will face a lack of customers, said Interior and Local Government Asst. Sec. Epimaco Densing III.

President Rodrigo Duterte threatened to shut down the island last month, saying pollution had turned some parts of the sea into a "cesspool."

The interior, tourism and environment departments agreed last week to temporarily shut down the island to give way to the cleanup.

The DILG will place the island under a state of calamity once it receives the go-signal from Malacanang.

Such a declaration will make more funds available to families that will be displaced by the shutdown, Duterte said earlier this month.