MANILA - The City Council of Manila has authorized the disbursement of P60 million in financial aid to the capital's 20,000 government workers who are expected to be affected during Luzon's month-long coronavirus lockdown.
Under City Ordinance no. 8620, P3,000 will be given to each of Manila's 10,000 regular and 10,000 job order employees.
Manila Mayor Francisco "Isko Moreno" Domagoso also appealed to commercial establishments to waive rental fees while the Philippines' most populous island remains under enhanced community quarantine.
"This appeal is being made with the utmost intention of cushioning the socio-economic impact of the present crisis in the City of Manila," the mayor said in his letter.
"Buong kababaang loob at taos-puso po akong nakikiusap at umaasa sa inyong pang-unawa," he said.
(I am humbly and sincerely asking and hoping for your understanding.)
The City of Manila has declared a state of calamity earlier this week as the capital city tended to 5 coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) patients and monitored 118 others who may be possible carriers of the disease.
On Tuesday, President Rodrigo Duterte placed the entire country under a state of calamity as the number of COVID cases in the country rose to nearly 200, with 14 dead, 4 recovered and over a hundred still hospitalized.
Luzon's borders are expected to be sealed later this week, except for repatriation flights and cargo containing basic necessities like food and medical supplies.
The World Health Organization described the COVID-19, which originated from Wuhan, China, as a global pandemic after it killed nearly 8,000 people, while 197,000 others have been infected.