Coronavirus outbreak reaching urban poor areas is 'disastrous': QC Mayor

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Mar 18 2020 07:03 PM | Updated as of Mar 18 2020 08:46 PM

MANILA - Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte on Wednesday said the local government is doing everything to prevent the coronavirus from spreading to urban poor areas.

“Pinaka-fear ko talaga ay umabot ang virus sa urban poor areas. Para sa akin, disastrous talaga yun,” Belmonte said.

The mayor said given that the situation occurred before the city could implement its housing program, she is still happy that they have so far managed to prevent the highly contagious disease from affecting the city’s urban poor population.

“We are trying our best to ensure preventive measures and precautionary measures in the urban poor areas talaga,” she said.

As of March 18, a total of 29 patients tested positive for COVID-19 in QC. All are among those reported by the Department of Health for the entire country.

The local government urged its residents to stay at home and observe social distancing. 

“Ang payo ko lang siguro is just stay home. At least, pamilya mo lang kasama mo,” she said. “Just be more conscious na lang if you feel something.”

The DOH on Wednesday announced that it recorded 15 new confirmed COVID-19 cases, bringing the total of cases in the country to 202.

Belmonte said the city will implement heightened community quarantine in Barangay Kalusugan and Barangay Tandang Sora, which has 3 cases each of the disease.

The measure, which will entail road closures and checkpoints, will take effect at 6 a.m. Thursday.

“Marami pa tayong nababalitaan na kung saan patuloy pa rin lumalabas ang mga tao, namamasada ang mga tricycle.” 

“Siguro hindi pa nila gaano na-internalize nung pagiging serious ng sakit na ito. Siguro kailangan lang nating ipaalala sa ating mga punong barangay na kailangan nilang gawin ang mga tungkulin nila na pangalagaan ang kanilang mamamayan, siguraduhng sumunod sa mga patakaran,” Belmonte said. 

-- Report from Chiara Zambrano, ABS-CBN News