Mayor Isko says Manila City ready for 'total lockdown' scenario

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Mar 16 2020 08:20 PM

MANILA - Manila City Mayor Francisco "Isko Moreno" Domagoso on Monday said the local government is ready to help their residents in case there may be a total lockdown.

In an interview on ANC, Domagoso said that while official directives have yet to be issued by the national government, his administration already started accumulating food packs for the city's 350,000 families.

"Itong desisyon ngayon nitong national government, kulang pa kami ng konting oras. But we have some food products already in our warehouse," he said.

"We will continue to accumulate food para naman sa gayon, ma-cushion natin ang socio-economic impact, especially pagdating sa kasiguruhan sa pagkain, kung talagang magkakaroon na ng total lockdown," Domagoso said.

He said they are looking for sources of food, as the budget to be used has already been passed last week.

"Wala na kaming problema sa perang pambili. What we're after now is the supply," Domagoso explained.

Aside from food packs for the residents, Domagoso announced that the city has its own facility for residents who may be infected by the new coronavirus.

"This is an augmentation center for people who are PUI and those people who are found positive for COVID-19," he said.

The facility, which currently has 14 separate units, will be expanded to 100 units for patients under investigation and those who will test positive for COVID-19.

Should there be a need for more space, Domagoso said they will use the 104 schools in the city, assuring parents that these facilities will be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected before they can be used again by students.

Domagoso, likewise, said he will formally appeal to all lessors and business owners to give their tenants additional time to pay their rent.

"Nananawagan kami sa mga nagpapaupa sa mga commercial establishments na sana magbigay sila ng palugit sa mga nangungupahan sa kanila," he said.

The local government will impose curfew from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. starting Monday.

President Rodrigo Duterte announced Monday an enhanced community quarantine in Luzon as the government sought to arrest the rapidly spreading new coronavirus disease that has claimed 12 lives in the country.

Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo said the enhanced community quarantine is effective immediately.