MANILA – The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Wednesday urged Vice-President Leni Robredo to cite specific cases on the so-called “palit-ulo” scheme in the government’s war on drugs.
"Yung sinasabing palit-ulo na kung wala, hindi pumunta iyung drug suspect o drug personality ang kapalit eh yung kamag-anak, clearly hindi ito tama," said PNP spokesperson Senior Superintendent Dionardo Carlos.
Robredo revealed the alleged scheme during a recorded speech uploaded on YouTube by anti-drug network DRCNet Foundation. The video will be played at “Human Rights Challenge: Responding to Extrajudicial Killings in the Drug War,” a side session organized by DRCNet Foundation for the 60th U.N. Commission on Narcotic Drugs annual meeting.
The session will take place Thursday, March 16, 2017, at the Vienna International Centre.
"Kung merong ganitong ulat, we ask them to be more specific and we ask those who allegedly has done this, answer for it. Hindi yan norm, hindi iyan practice,” he said. “Ngayon, kung this is a new allegation, let us be more specific. Saan nangyari, sino itong mga ito…kasi lalabas na inaattach natin sa Oplan Tokhang which is not part of Oplan Tokhang."
In the video, Robredo also revealed another scheme wherein people in communities are rounded up in basketball courts and then searched.
Carlos admitted that the PNP gather members of the community in another campaign called "Oplan Taphang."
“Kung ito ay gathering them in one place…Taphang ito. We gather them in one place and plead kasi malalayo ang mga lugar. Nagagawa natin ito sa mga malalayong kabihasnan, yung magkakahiwalay ang mga bahay sa kabundukan so they were invited to go to the community center,” he clarified.
Carlos said that the concerns should have been brought to their attention first rather than being made public.
Robredo also reported that more than 7,000 people have been died in the war on drugs since July last year.
“Where did we get the figures? Where is this 7,000? Kasi kung iyan naman ay babalik sa inuulat nating DUI (Death Under Inquiry), may progress, may breakthrough tayo. Hindi natin iniwanan ang kasong ito,” he said.
“Patuloy iyung ating pag-imbistiga sa mga insidenteng ito. Hindi pa final na lahat ay summary killings. Ito ay mga kaso ng pagpatay, iba iba ang motibo. Sana itama iyung pagbibigay ng basis na ito para maibigay natin ang totoong sitwasyon,” he said. - With ANC