MANILA - Two people have died due to an outbreak of measles in a village in Taguig, Mayor Lani Cayetano confirmed Monday.
Both fatalities had no prior immunization against the illness. They were among a total of 9 patients with measles monitored by the city's health office, she said.
The Department of Health and local officials earlier this month confirmed a measles outbreak in a Taguig village, but they declined to identify the affected area.
Measles is an infectious disease that can cause death among infants as young as 3 months old. Colder temperatures typically cause a spike in cases of the illness, symptoms of which include skin rashes and fever, authorities said.
Some parents in Taguig have refused to get their children vaccinated against the illness amid a health scare triggered by the scrapped dengue immunization program, Cayetano said.
The government late last year stopped giving anti-dengue vaccine Dengvaxia to children after French drug maker Sanofi confirmed that it can pose greater risks if given to those who have not had the mosquito-borne disease.
Taguig health officers are going door-to-door in the city’s barangays to immunize children and explain that the anti-measles vaccine used by the government is safe.
With a report from Raffy Santos, ABS-CBN News