MANILA - The Supreme Court on Tuesday deferred action on the quo warranto petition filed by the Solicitor General against ABS-CBN Corp over alleged franchise violations.
Supreme Court spokesperson Brian Keith Hosaka said the case would be tabled en banc again on April 14 at the start of the summer session in Baguio City.
"Yes, I confirm that the deliberations by the court on the ABS-CBN Quo Warranto petition is still on going. The case will again be included in the agenda of the court on April 14, 2020 when it starts its summer session in Baguio," he said.
"The Justices need more time to further study the case," he added.
Last month, Calida asked the high court to revoke the franchise of ABS-CBN Corp. and its subsidiary, ABS-CBN Convergence Inc., citing supposed "abuses" by the network of its franchises.
In a press statement following the filing of the quo warranto petition, ABS-CBN Corp. said the allegations are "without merit."
"ABS-CBN complies with all pertinent laws governing its franchise and has secured all necessary government and regulatory approvals for its business operations," the company said.
A "quo warranto" is a legal procedure that is filed against someone who "usurps, intrudes into, or unlawfully holds or exercises a public office, position or franchise," according to Rule 66 of the Rules of Civil Procedure.
Also on Tuesday, the House of Representatives Legislative Franchises Committee held a meeting on the ABS-CBN franchise, where the National Telecommunications Commission said it would issue the network provisional authority to operate pending deliberations on bills on its license renewal.
Congress is scheduled to go on a break on Wednesday and will resume session on May 4, the same day ABS-CBN Corp.'s franchise expires.