Boracay residents laud closure of another beach front restaurant

Joyce Clavecillas, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Mar 10 2018 06:22 PM

BORACAY - Another beachfront restaurant along Station 2 was closed down Friday after the local government found that it was operating without a sanitary permit.

"Ang report sa atin ng sanitary inspector, nag-expire na ang permit [ng restaurant] at hindi na na-renew," said Rowen Aguirre, a representative from the mayor's office.

The restaurant's staff refused to comment about the closure.

Some tourists on the island said they do not mind even while some businesses along the famous white sand beach are being shut down amid an unprecedented government cleanup. 

"On a positive note, mas nakakabuti na nalalaman pa ng mga tourists na ang gobyerno ay may care sa Boracay," ani Livi Dajime, isang bakasyonista sa isla.

The government started a crackdown on businesses on the island that violate environmental laws last month, after President Rodrigo Duterte lamented that the once pristine shores of Boracay have become a "cesspool."

Duterte has said Boracay may be temporarily closed to tourists if the island would not be rehabilitated within 6 months.