MANILA- The Philippine capital suspended classes Monday, March 9, until Sunday, March 15 as a precautionary measure against the new coronavirus outbreak (COVID-19).
Manila City Mayor Isko Moreno ordered the suspension in light of the "the growing number of COVID-19 confirmed cases in the country."
The Philippines so far confirmed 10 cases of COVID-19, including an incident of local transmission.
The development prompted President Rodrigo Duterte to place the country under a state of public health emergency to arrest the spread of the pathogen that has killed 3,500 and infected 109,000 people worldwide.
Health Secretary Francisco Duque III on Monday said decisions of local government units on class suspensions must be followed.
"We need to respect the local chief executives' decision to suspend classes and that must be followed by all concerned," Duque said.