Duterte says may ‘reconsider’ peace talks revival if Reds declare ceasefire

Dharel Placido, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Mar 06 2018 07:09 PM

MANILA - President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday said he might reconsider reviving peace talks with the communist movement if the latter declares a ceasefire.

“As far as I’m concerned, no talks, no ceasefire, work it out. If you can have it, fine, show it to me, maybe I will reconsider,” Duterte said in a speech at a Go Negosyo event in Pasay City.

Duterte in November last year terminated peace talks with the National Democratic Front of the Philippines amid continued attacks of its armed wing the New People's Army against government troops despite ongoing negotiations.

He then labelled the Communist Party of the Philippines-NPA as a terror organization. In yet another controversial remark, he told state troops to shoot female rebels in their privates and also offered a bounty for every rebel killed.

The President previously said he would consult the country’s top military officials on whether or not the peace talks should resume.