MANILA (UPDATE) - The Department of Health (DOH) on Tuesday confirmed an outbreak of measles (tigdas) in Negros Oriental.
Health Undersecretary Eric Domingo said the provincial government declared the measles outbreak and that some towns are being monitored.
Affected areas include Bacong, Dumaguete City, Mabinay, San Jose, Santa Catalina, Siaton and Valencia.
Nine cases of measles have already been confirmed while there are 12 other suspected cases, the DOH said.
There have been no measles-related deaths in these areas so far, the Negros Oriental Integrated Provincial Health Office said.
Measles is an infectious disease that can cause death among infants as young as 3 months old. Colder temperatures typically cause a spike in cases of the illness, symptoms of which include skin rashes and fever, authorities have said.
The DOH last week also confirmed a measles outbreak in a Taguig City village and in Davao City last month.
Since the Philippines is in the elimination phase of measles, only one case of measles in an area is needed to declare an outbreak, a DOH official said last week.
"Nasa elimination phase na tayo ng tigdas," Health Assistant Secretary Eric Tayag said in an interview with Bandila DZMM.
"Isang kaso lang, isa na pong outbreak," Tayag said.
-- report from Kori Quintos, ABS-CBN News