Bong Revilla backs death penalty for plunderers

Sherrie Ann Torres, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Mar 04 2019 04:45 PM

Former Senator Ramon "Bong" Revilla Jr. waves to his supporters after he was acquitted by the Sandiganbayan on charges of plunder in connection with the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) or pork barrel scam case, Dec. 7, 2018. Mark Demayo, ABS-CBN News

MANILA- Former Senator Bong Revilla supports imposing the death penalty on convicted plunderers.

Revilla, who was acquitted last year of the crime in relation to the pork barrel scam case, said he supports capital punishment if it's necessary to stop plunder or large-scale corruption. 

"Yung mga nagpa-plunder, yung nagnanakaw talaga sa bayan, dapat kung kinakailangang hatulan ng kamatayan para matigil na yan,” he told reporters.

(If necessary, impose the death penalty on those who commit plunder and steal from the national coffers so that it would stop.)

Revilla, along with former Senators Juan Ponce Enrile and Jinggoy Estrada, were accused of receiving kickbacks from pork barrel scam mastermind Janet Lim Napoles in exchange for funneling part of their discretionary funds to bogus non-government organizations. 

The prosecution had accused the actor-turned-politician of embezzling P224 million in discretionary funds while he was still senator. 

He, however, is still facing separate PDAF graft cases. 

Enrile and Estrada's plunder cases are still ongoing. 

All 3 former lawmakers, however, have since been released from jail and are seeking a Senate comeback in the May 13 elections.

Revilla also noted that “false accusers” must also be charged and jailed.

“Dapat hatulan din, kumbaga, hatulan din ng kamatayan yung mga false accusers.... kasi masama rin yung nagbibintang ka ng hindi totoo,” he added.

(Death penalty should also be imposed on false accusers because accusing someone of something that's not true is not good too.)

For updates on Halalan 2019 click here