MANILA – The pedicab driver who survived after being shot by police in Quezon province last year was not rearrested without warrant, Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Police General Oscar Albayalde said on Monday.
This comes after human rights lawyer and senatorial candidate Chel Diokno claimed that Roger Herrero was rearrested on Friday without warrant.
Albayalde said Herrero was charged with robbery, frustrated murder and illegal possession of firearms in November 2018 but because he was injured after an encounter with policemen, he was temporarily put under hospital arrest.
Herrero was put in a PNP detention facility after his release from the hospital, Albayalde said.
Herrero was allegedly abducted by police in November and was forced to admit to a string of robbery cases in Agdangan, Quezon. He was shot in the face by his captors, but managed to survive despite a shattered jaw.
The National Bureau of Investigation filed frustrated murder charges against the police officers involved in the case. -- With a report from Zhander Cayabyab, ABS-CBN News