MANILA - San Juan City Mayor Francis Zamora on Tuesday said he will ask for a revamp of the entire security system in the Greenhills Shopping Center after Monday's hostage-taking incident.
"I'm meeting the top management of Greenhills Shopping Center. I will demand from them a total overhaul of the security systems of Greenhills Shopping Center," Zamora said.
Alchie Paray, a disgruntled former security guard, shot and injured another guard at the V-Mall, and then held up to 55 people hostage for around 10 hours.
National Capital Region Police Office chief Debold Sinas said that of the 55, only 40 remained with the suspect when the crisis ended on Monday evening. The others either escaped or were rescued earlier in the day.
"Hindi lang ito tungkol sa security ng mall. Ito ay tungkol sa security ng lungsod ng San Juan kaya makikialam na ako rito at sisiguraduhin kong mapalitan silang lahat," Zamora said in a press conference at the San Juan City Hall.
Among the demands that Paray asked was for seven security officers of their security agency to issue a public apology, and for four of them to resign from post.
Zamora said the demands were very simple and Paray wasn't even asking for money. He said the hostage-taker just wanted to air his grievances publicly.
He added that other guards may have the same grievances as Paray.
"Sapagkat yung hinaing ni Alchie Paray, posibleng hinaing 'yan ng ibang mga guwardiyang naka-formation kahapon. Kaya nga, gusto niyang i-formation lahat yun para sang-ayunan siya," he said.
Zamora, who acted as negotiator, said allowing Paray to air his side was "all part of the plan."
"It's all part of the strategy and in the end we were able to achieve our objective,” he said.
The crisis ended with police tackling down the gunman while speaking with witnesses and the media.
"Anuman ang sabihin ng sinuman, ang punto rito, walang namatay at nailabas nang ligtas ang lahat ng hostage," said Zamora.
Meanwhile, Sinas said they are consolidating the affidavits of all witnesses and hostages before filing several charges against Paray.
"Give us time to consolidate everything kasi kinukuha pa yung mga affidavits ng hostages," Sinas said.
Sinas said Paray will face illegal possession of firearms and explosive, hostage-taking, and frustrated murder.
"Other cases will follow," he said.
Metro Manila's top cop was likewise happy with the result of the crisis.
"We're happy everybody is alive. Sa loob ng mall itself was already controlled at walang further damages at walang further casualties. That, for us, is what we consider success," he said.