DOH confirms measles outbreak in Taguig village

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Mar 01 2018 12:50 PM | Updated as of Mar 01 2018 02:54 PM

MANILA (2nd UPDATE) - The Department of Health (DOH) on Thursday confirmed an outbreak of measles, locally known as "tigdas," in one barangay in Taguig City.

There have been 7 measles cases in the community, said Health Undersecretary Eric Domingo. He declined to identify the affected village for now.

Measles is an infectious disease that can cause death among infants as young as 3 months old. Colder temperatures typically cause a spike in cases of the illness, symptoms of which include skin rashes and fever, authorities have said.

Medical officers have been going door-to-door in all the city’s barangays to immunize children aged 6 months to 5 years old, the Taguig city health office said in a statement.

Local officials have also intensified health education programs and active surveillance, the office added.

"Rest assured that the city government is doing all that it can for its constituents. I am also appealing to the residents to have their children immunized for a measles-free Taguig," said Mayor Lani Cayetano in the same statement.

The government last month also confirmed a measles outbreak in Davao City. 

The southern city has seen a decrease in the number of children vaccinated against measles following a public health scare triggered by the scrapped dengue immunization program, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said in February. 

-- With a report from Kori Quintos, ABS-CBN News